Costa Rica - July 18-24

Friday, July 23, 2010

A Terrifying Tour and a Thankful Family

Yesterday night we went on a tour through the rainforest at night. At first I was fearless, but the moment our tour guide pointed the thousands of leaf cutter ants, that fearlessness disappeared, almost as if it had never been there. The smaller ants were fine but the soldiers were pretty big and they were surrounding my feet and were getting on my shoes throughout the trip. Even worse were the bullet ants which were about an inch long! Despite these creepy crawly things, I had a lot of fun. We saw a boa constrictor, a poison dart frog (which I spotted), multiple spiders one of which was almost the size of my hand (including the legs), and other small things. Although it would have been cool, I am sort of glad I was not in the group that saw a fer de lance. This morning, I woke up again an hour before the wake up call and just lay in bed. Before breakfast, some other kids and I went to see the butterfly and frog gardens at the hotel. We saw lots of butterflies and one poison dart frog. While I was back at the room, one of our guides; German, picked up a poison dart frog in the pool area! We also saw a bunch of birds where the hotel had fruit lain out for them. Someone saw a toucan. In the morning, we went to person’s property and planted saplings. We planted over 200 saplings in a very short period of time; we had a lot of people. When we got back from the fields, the family had prepared a snack for us. They were so nice, none of the other groups got this thank you and I was very honored. They had delicious bananas, pineapple, papaya, juice, and other things. We are going zip lining very soon and I am extremely excited. Adios!

Katherine

2 comments:

  1. All those animals! Hope you took a lot of pictures. Glad to hear that you gave back to the community. Enjoy the rest of your adventure!!

    ReplyDelete

Programs Details

Duration 8 days
When July 18 - 24, 2010
Focus Ecology/Conservation
Biology
Geology/Volcanology