Costa Rica - July 18-24

Friday, July 23, 2010

Night Walk… (shiver)

I’m here again!  Last night, the night walk was amazing!  We started with ants.  Leaf cutter ants.  They would walk along the path carrying things twenty time their weight!  Then we walked onto a bridge.  Our guide, Daniel, showed us many interesting things.  My group was Makena, Alexa, Alyssa, Olivia, Lisa C., and me.  Lisa got so freaked out when we saw a boa from the bridge.  It was on a lower branch on a tree right next to us.  There was a camera crew taking pictures, and Alexa says she saw them take pictures of us!  In the middle of the bridge, we were right over a churning river.  Daniel says we were 100 feet up.  I was a little freaked out, because the bridge was wobbly.  We walked down under the bridge, where Daniel said no other group went.  We saw two other cool snakes (to the horror of Lisa, who didn’t even look at them), different bugs, like the walking stick, bullet ants (they were HUGE!  Daniel told us he was bit by one once, and it hurts in your bone!), grasshoppers, and when we went to a watery area we saw a big frog.  Not one of those tiny poison dart frogs, but a big one.  We went back to the meeting place and waited. We were at this awesome hotel that I wish we could have stayed at longer at.  This morning, me, Katherine, Makena, Alyssa, Payton, and Kelly (with a Y, not Thomas) went to their frog land and butterfly garden. We saw a poison dart frog, a blue jeans one, and lots of different butterflies.  Today we went to plant trees.  Makena was my partner, and we planted a lot of saplings.  After that, the family fed us with pineapple, watermelon, two types of papaya, bread fruit (like chips, really good), and other really yummy stuff.  We were told the family didn’t give it to anyone else, so that we really nice.  We are on the buses right now on the way to the volcano, and today we’re going to go on the ziplines!!!  I’’m so excited! Pura Vida! 

Cate

1 comment:

  1. Wow all those ants! I would have gotten goosebumps if I saw them! I'm glad that you have the opportunity to do some community service. How nice of the family to feed you all the yummy fruit. (P.S. I'm home now and can't wait to share our stories in person! Say hi to Cory for me). Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Programs Details

Duration 8 days
When July 18 - 24, 2010
Focus Ecology/Conservation
Biology
Geology/Volcanology