Costa Rica - July 18-24

Friday, July 23, 2010

Freshness of the Pineapple


Pura Vida!  Today we first went to the cow farm, where we milked cows and learned to make cheese.  Milking the cows was weird. The udders felt warmish and strange.  I milked the cow twice.  Then we saw how to make cheese.  It’s a long process.  Then we went to eat homemade cheese, tortillas, and juice (I’m not sure if that was homemade).  Being me (I don’t like plain cheese.), I ate the tortillas and the juice.  I think it was mango, and it was delicious.  We then went to the pineapple fields.  German taught us how the pineapple grows.  Then German cut up the pineapple (with a machete) and we ate the fresh pineapple, right from the plant.  It was warm, and was the best pineapple I have ever had!  Once he was done cutting it up, he had a core, with still some fruit on the sides.  He asked how long it takes to grow a pineapple, and I answered the right question (14 months).  So I got the pineapple core!!  German cut up another one, and gave it to Corey (our AWESOME photographer), who gave it to Alyssa.  We walked through the rainforest, and saw the black and green poison dart frog!!!  It was awesome!  We just stopped at a place where the iguanas are everywhere, lounging in the trees.  We’re on our way back to the hotel, where afterward we will go to the hot springs!!!  Bye, bye!  (Picture: Alyssa is on left, I am on right)

CateP1070243

1 comment:

  1. I'm not surprised that you thought milking the cow was strange because it is! That pineapple sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Programs Details

Duration 8 days
When July 18 - 24, 2010
Focus Ecology/Conservation
Biology
Geology/Volcanology